Skip to main content

What if I don’t qualify for Employment Insurance?

24, 07-2020

If you have stopped working due to COVID-19 you may be eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), even if you would not normally qualify for EI. For example, if you are self-employed or a contractor. If you don’t qualify for EI, you can apply through the CRA. The Federal Government will provide a taxable benefit of $500 a week for up to 24 weeks.

To be eligible for the CERB, you must 

  • reside in Canada 
  • be at least 15 years old 
  • have stopped working due to COVID-19 or are eligible for EI benefits,
  • not have voluntarily quit your job 
  • have earned at least $5,000 in 2019, or in the 12 month prior to applying for the CERB
  • not have earned more than $1,000 in any income (including self-employment income) for 14 consecutive days in the first 4 weeks of the benefit period. When filing subsequent claims, you cannot have earned more $1,000 in income (including self-employment income) for the entire 4 week benefit period of your new claim. 

See the Canada Emergency Response Benefit for more information.

Find more Work questions