Skip to main content

I did not marry my partner. Can I ask for spousal support?

Reviewed by
Nov 3, 2021

You do not need to be married to seek spousal support. In British Columbia, under the Family Law Act, you may be eligible for spousal support if you have been living in a marriage-like relationship for at least two continuous years.

To learn more about spousal support, see the How To Separate website or visit