Back to school plans for K-12 families are now posted for all 60 school districts, so parents and families can prepare to support their children for a safe return to the classroom. Families should visit their school district website to view their local school’s plans.
Each school district plan follows the same strict provincial health and safety measures co-developed with the provincial health officer, the BC Centre for Disease Control and the Ministry of Education. School districts are adapting their schedules and learning groups to fit within those measures based on student population and local consultation with education partners, parents and Indigenous rightsholders.
Every day, school districts are prepared to welcome all students to elementary and middle schools. For secondary schools, timetables have been modified to adhere to the health and safety requirements and ensure that all students can attend most days, with much of their instruction occurring in-class.
The health and safety measures that all school districts will follow include:
- masks will be required for staff, middle and secondary students in high-traffic areas, such as buses, and in common areas, or anytime outside of their learning group whenever physical distancing cannot be maintained (exceptions will be made for students who cannot wear masks for medical reasons);
- even when wearing a mask, staff and students will still be required to maintain physical distance from people outside of their learning group;
- increased cleaning of high-contact surfaces;
- increased hand hygiene with all students, staff and visitors;
- school districts may also install transparent barriers for people who have more contact with others, such as front-desk staff, bus drivers or food services staff; and
- staff and students (or their parents/guardians) must also assess themselves daily for illness, including symptoms of COVID-19. If any student or staff member has even mild symptoms, arrangements will be made for that person to return home.
For BC’s complete back to school plan, including safety measures, orientation information and individual school district plans, see BC’s Back to School Plan.
See HERE for a summary of BC’s back to school plan. The plan has also been translated into 11 other languages: Arabic; Chinese (Simplified); Chinese (Traditional); Farsi; French; Hindi; Korean; Punjabi; Spanish; Tagalog; and Urdu.