Start with Ask JES.
To access this free service, call, chat live or text your question using the information in the green column on the right.
- Ask JES provides legal help information and referrals
- Get legal help to take the next step to move forward with your legal issue
- Each year, Ask JES provides free answers to thousands of legal questions
Family Law: Issues related to separation, divorce, protection orders and adoption.
Civil Law: Issues related to agreements between people and organizations. This includes issues related to employment, housing, lawsuits, and other legal disputes.
- For disputes less than $5000: Civil Resolution Tribunal
- For claims between $5001 and $35,000: SmallClaimsBC.ca
- For claims over $35,000: SupremeCourtBC.ca
- For disputes related to employment, housing and other government regulated issues: AdminLawBC.ca
Criminal Law: Issues related to crime, as described in the Canadian Criminal Code.
Legal Help Tips
- If you are searching for legal help online, be sure to include “BC” in your keyword search
- A great online resource for all legal issues is Clicklaw BC
- If you have a legal problem, it is a good idea to talk to a lawyer to get legal advice. Even if you are going to handle your own case, a lawyer can help you at every step in the legal process. See the answer for “How can I get free legal advice in BC?” to learn about services provided by Legal Aid BC, Access Pro Bono and BC Advocates.