The new Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit provides $500 per week, for up to two weeks (proposed extension to 4 weeks), effective September 27, 2020 until September 25, 2021, for workers who are unable to work because they are sick or must self-isolate due to COVID-19.
The benefit would be available to residents in Canada who:
- are at least 15 years old and have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN);
- you are unable to work at least 50% of your scheduled work week because you're self-isolating for one of the following reasons: you are sick with COVID-19 or may have COVID-19 OR you are advised to self-isolate due to COVID-19;
- are not eligible for Employment Insurance;
- had employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in 2020; and,
- have not quit their job voluntarily.
Note: On January 5, 2021, Prime Minister Trudeau announced that those returning from a vacation outside of Canada are NOT eligible for the benefit while completing their mandatory 14 day isolation period upon returning to Canada.
See HERE for more information or to apply.