The new Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit provides $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) per week, for up to four weeks, effective September 27, 2020 until September 25, 2021, for workers who are unable to work because they are sick or must self-isolate due to COVID-19. Workers must reapply after each week, should they continue to require assistance.
The benefit would be available to residents in Canada who:
- are at least 15 years old and have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN);
- you are unable to work at least 50% of your scheduled work week because you're self-isolating for one of the following reasons: you are sick with COVID-19 or may have COVID-19 OR you are advised to self-isolate due to COVID-19;
- are not eligible for Employment Insurance;
- had employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in 2020; and,
- have not quit their job voluntarily.
Note: On January 5, 2021, Prime Minister Trudeau announced that those returning from a vacation outside of Canada are NOT eligible for the benefit while completing their mandatory isolation period upon returning to Canada.
See HERE for more information or to apply.