Skip to main content

What supports are available if I have to stay home with my child or must provide care to a family member?

08, 10-2021

The new Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit, is effective from September 27, 2020 until October 23, 2021, and provides $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) per week, for up to 42 weeks per household to eligible Canadians. If your situation continues past 1 week, you will need to apply again.

The closure of schools and other daycare and day program facilities to prevent the spread of COVID 19 has meant that many Canadians have been unable to work because they needed to provide care to children or support to other dependents who had to stay home.

The benefit would be available to residents in Canada who:

  • are at least 15 years old and have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN);
  • you are unable to work at least 50% of your scheduled work week because you are caring for a family member;
  • you are caring for your child under 12 years old or a family member who needs supervised care because they are at home for one of the following reasons: Their school, daycare, day program, or care facility is closed or unavailable to them due to COVID-19 OR their regular care services are unavailable due to COVID-19 OR the person under your care is sick with COVID-19, has symptoms of COVID-19, is at risk of serious health complications if they get COVID-19, as advised by a medical professional or self-isolating due to COVID-19;
  • are not eligible for Employment Insurance;
  • had employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in 2020; and,
  • have not quit their job voluntarily.

See HERE for more information or to apply.