Nov 4, 2021
At a trial, both sides are given an opportunity to present their evidence and make a legal argument. There is a formal structure or order for how a trial occurs.
The steps at a trial are:
- Opening statements
- The Claimant calls witness and presents evidence
- Respondent/Defendant is given a chance to question these witnesses
- The Respondent/Defendant calls witness and presents evidence
- Claimant is given a chance to question these witnesses
- The Claimant and Respondent/Defendant make closing statements
- The judge makes a decision
You can read about what happens at a trial on How to Separate or in more detail on SmallClaimsBC.